Skip to main content

Discipline? I don't know the meaning of the word

.....as uttered by the infamous Liam Gallagher.

We still fall for it in the development world don't we? The cult of the 'hero' or 'rockstar': 
  • Extremely deep knowledge of their chosen technology? Very often and that's great. 
  • Ability to communicate? If it confirms their approach. 
  • Working on a common goal? If they set it. 
  • Unable to be questioned about their approach? I can't work under these conditions, I'll be in my trailer. 
  • Sloppy and inconsistent? Maybe some of that too.
I prefer this quote: 
'Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work' ~ Vince Lombardi
I much prefer to hire team players. For me, these guys are rock stars, just maybe not the lead singers. What have they got in their lockers then?
  • Able to create long term relationships? Loads of this.
  • Mindful of the impact of their actions on others? Loads of that too.
  • Information shared to enable each other to progress? Constantly this.
  • Respect for each others strengths and even weaknesses? Oodles of this.
I personally have changed a great deal in this respect. I used to get frustrated with those who didn't want to change the world. 

Not anymore. There is (and should be) space for those who wish to blaze a trail and those who wish to provide consistent approach and attention to detail. Don't get me wrong, I would never want to damage the enthusiasm and drive of such a person, just that they might be mindful of the environment they create.

I wouldn't feel right if I didn't explore the other side of the argument. One question always springs to mind; 'Who wouldn't want to work with a hero?' Changing the world, pushing the boundaries and yes even enhancing the skills and knowledge of those around them with their reflected glory. Definitely some positives there, I'm still unconvinced that they outweigh the more subtle negatives.

In my opinion and experience, both of these characters flourish best as a part of a team. That's how great things are achieved in the software development world. Not alone. Even wolves run in packs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lone Tester at a DevOps Conference

I recently had the chance to go to Velocity Conf in Amsterdam, which one might describe as a DevOps conference. I love going to conferences of all types, restricting the self to discipline specific events is counter intuitive to me, as each discipline involved in building and supporting something isn't isolated. Even if some organisations try and keep it that way, reality barges its way in. Gotta speak to each other some day.

So, I was in an awesome city, anticipating an enlightening few days. Velocity is big. I sometimes forget how big business some conferences are, most testing events I attend are usually in the hundreds of attendees. With big conferences comes the trappings of big business. For my part, I swapped product and testability ideas with Datadog, Pager Duty and others for swag. My going rate for consultancy appears to be tshirts, stickers and hats.

So, lets get to it:

3 Takeaways

Inclusiveness - there was a huge focus on effective teams, organisational dynamics and splitt…

Wheel of Testing Part 2 - Content

Thank you Reddit, while attempting to find pictures of the earths core, you surpass yourself.
Turns out Steve Buscemi is the centre of the world.

Anyway. Lets start with something I hold to be true. My testing career is mine to shape, it has many influences but only one driver. No one will do it for me. Organisations that offer a career (or even a vocation) are offering something that is not theirs to give. Too much of their own needs get in the way, plus morphing into a badass question-asker, assumption-challenger, claim-demolisher and illusion-breaker is a bit terrifying for most organisations. Therefore, I hope the wheel is a tool for possibilities not definitive answers, otherwise it would just be another tool trying to provide a path which is yours to define.


In part one, I discussed why I had thought about the wheel of testing in terms of my own motivations for creating it, plus applying the reasoning of a career in testing to it. As in, coming up with a sensible reflection of real…

The Team Test for Testability

You know what I see quite a lot. Really long-winded test maturity models. 

You know what I love to see? Really fast, meaningful ways to build a picture of your teams current state and provoke a conversation about improvement. The excellent test improvement card game by Huib Schoots and Joep Schuurkes is a great example. I also really like 'The Joel Test' by Joel Spolsky, a number of questions you can answer yes or no to to gain insight into their effectiveness as a software development team.

I thought something like this for testability might an interesting experiment, so here goes:

If you ask the team to change their codebase do they react positively?Does each member of the team have access to the system source control?Does the team know which parts of the codebase are subject to the most change?Does the team collaborate regularly with teams that maintain their dependencies?Does the team have regular contact with the users of the system?Can you set your system into a given state…